Friday, September 15, 2006

Wu-Tang Again!

Yes, a 6:30 Friday post. I'm trying out a new time slot. TGIF worked for ABC!

Ask anyone who knows me and most will tell you that I had a quite the affinity, er, obsession* with the Wu-Tang Clan in my younger days. It wore off when I reached my early 20’s, mainly because the group couldn’t reach the heights of 1993 – 96, and who can blame them? Not only is that the Golden Age of “East Coast” rap, but they were the coolest, strangest, and most talented group in the bunch. My appetite for all thing Wu-Tang was insatiable: trips into Boston to find WuWear (I didn’t get any), buying any magazine with them on the cover, that awesome (now embarrassing) day when I actually bought a C.R.E.A.M. shirt at Newbury Comics. These were my teenage years, for better or worse. By the time *NSYNC dropped No Strings Attached in 2000, giving birth to a new obsession, the Wu were all but a memory.

Well thanks to MySpace, The Wu-Tang Clan are more accessible than ever. Each member has their own page full of songs new and old. It’s been fun reacquainting myself with them. Their later stuff wasn’t as bad as I once thought, especially in light of the current “rap” offerings. During the past five years, Ghostface, for the most part, has carried the Wu-Tang torch, but I have to say Raekwon the Chef is stepping up his game with these two outrageous photos, enjoy:

This blows my mind. Check the copy of the Robb Report.
rae

This is a new photo, I think it promoting his new album Only Built for Cuban Linx Part II (Which is delayed like all Wu albums)

raekwon2

* As proof of my obsession, while I was posting this very post you just read and enjoyed a co-worker came over and said, "Is that the Wu-Tang Symbol on your desk?" Next to me on my desk was a little doodle I had drawn during a meeting. The doodle was the Wu Tang symbol, still the only thing I can draw.
doodle

No comments: