Monday, September 18, 2006

Do the Queue

I wandered down to the Orchard Street Picklefest yesterday and I met with great surprise, long lines. Not since the Depression era has the Lower East Side seen so many people waiting in line for free salty foods. I for one, don’t understand the obsession New Yorkers have for standing in line, but from Trader Joe’s to the Rick’s Picks Pickle stand, lines are apparently where New Yorkers want to be. And they got a beautiful day for it. The sun was shining and the soon-to-be-autumn air was fresh and sweet. Definitely not a day to queue indoors. Some say my ranting against lines is un-hip, un-Cosmopolitan, even un-American. “If you don’t like standing in line why don't you just move to communist Russia?” they say. It’s not that I hate lines exactly, it’s just that there’s too many goddamn people around.

No comments: